Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Reenan Ferrer. Cadet, friend, rocker.

This my eulogy for the late Reenan M. Ferrer, a 1st Class/Fourth Year Cadet of the Philippine Military Academy who died of illness days ago. Today, he is buried at the "Libingan ng mga Bayani" at Fort Bonifacio, Makati City, Philippines. I have prepared a two eulogies. First, here is a written eulogy:

My mother started operating the Boodle Bar since March 2007. For the first few days of operation, that's where Cadet Reenan Ferrer (a Cow during that time) came in to the Boodle bar for the first time. I gained the habit of socializing with cadets and took the opportunity to get acquainted with him.

reenan_ferrer_1
The first day we met

Eventually, he'd come back often to enjoy the food we served while being a good conversation partner. He introduced Cadet Dolino to me as well. What started as a simple acquaintance turned into friendship in such a short period. Every time I get the chance to go to Baguio, I'd look forward to seeing Reenan every time I help my mother at the Boodle Bar. As long as he gets the word that I'm around, there's a guarantee that he'll show up even for a few minutes.

reenan_ferrer_2
Reenan asking my sister's cellphone number

One time, I was able to treat him for some merienda I prepared in such a short notice. Dolino joined us too as well. I recall the time he told about his history before being a cadet and by knowing this, I am glad that the Philippine Military Academy changed him to a better person. Of course, he's one of the many cadets who broke my stereotypical tourists' view of a cadet. He also got to knew and get along with my younger sisters, even bugging me (or making kulit) in asking for my sister's cellphone number.

reenan_ferrer_3
You wanted to be a pilot, right?

When I asked him about his preferred branch of service, he told me it was the Philippine Air Force. I bugged (or made kulit to) him that he shouldn't color blind if he wants to fly and be a pilot. He kept telling me he's not color blind and I looked forward to the day he becomes an Air Force pilot, to keep skies safer for all of us.

The last time I ever saw him was at the intrams held almost a month ago when he invited me to watch some boxing matches. He became a judge for some fights and helped out his fellow company mates when it’s Alfa's turn to participate. This was the first time I ever saw him dismayed because of an unexpected loss in one match. We parted ways when I needed to close Boodle Bar and leave PMA for the day around 5PM.

reenan_ferrer_4
The first time I ever broke into tears...

When I found out about his untimely departure, it was the first time I ever broke down into tears knowing a friend of mine died. It was just 6 months since we first met. But you know what? Every chance I’m in his company was very well spent. There was never a dull moment to be with him. In fact, I have to say he's very accommodating. I could have asked for more time to get to know him better but we have to accept how life goes on and live it to the fullest, even if it involves sorrow, pain and eventually a loss.

We will all miss Cadet 1st Class Reenan Ferrer of the Alfa Company of the PMA 2008 Baghawi Class. He is a testament that even as a cadet, he has a heart of gold and knew how to live his life. May he now fly higher than the skies that no pilot can.

reenan_ferrer_5
Reenan, we will really miss you.

My second eulogy is a Flash Presentation using screenshots from Granado Espada to convey my experiences of Reenan Ferrer. This link will take you to the Flash Presentation, so make sure you've installed Flash for your browser. The presentation will end with links concerning about this event. The RedSign Faction sends its condolences as well.

There you have it, my two eulogies for Cadet 1st Class Reenan M. Ferrer. That's all I have to say for now. Feel free give your condolences as well.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

that was truly a moving eulogy. my condolences to your friend. i'm pretty much sure he's watching all of us from above.

Anonymous said...

we were there at the wake. we watched a video of him singing "panalangin" and listened as his mom retold in tears his last days. he died with a smile, we were told. my condolonces.

Anonymous said...

In behalf of the family of Reenan I would like to thank you for the friendship. Let's continue to keep his good memories in our hearts. December 15 will be his 40th day, please join us in prayers.

My family